SOMAR is in the implementation phase of CICAS – Interpretation Center for Cetaceans and Acoustics SOMAR in Lagos, focusing on the areas of environmental conservation/education, ecology, oceanography and bioacoustics.
This project is co-funded by MAR2020 for the creation of the SOMAR Visitation Center, by the operation “P04M03 – Execution of the EDL” in the priority axis “Increasing Employment and Territorial Cohesion (DLBC)”.
The goals of this operation include:
- Create a physical space of the SOMAR Center for the visitation of tourists and the local community and to carry out research, events and lectures;
- Disseminate, spread and popularize knowledge about the oceans and local marine life in the Western Algarve region;
- To actively contribute to research in the areas of marine conservation, bioacoustics and natural heritage management;
- To increase the population’s knowledge and awareness of issues related to ecology and history by holding lectures, events and other initiatives;
- Carry out environmental education projects aimed at schools and groups of children;
- Develop partnerships with maritime-tourism companies for whale watching and geological heritage activities;
- Promote the exchange of knowledge and experience on whale-watching among the maritime-tourism companies in the region.
See the project fact sheet HERE.